Friday, December 23, 2011

red is beautiful

in summer me and my sisters lisa and laurie would take mom’s old yellow faded out bedspread and lay it on the brown lawn
we'd lay out in the sun pretending to be white girls getting a tan
look at how fast I tan lisa would say flipping her hair back and forth and back and forth like a blond woman in a breck shampoo commercial
laurie and I rolling and laughing hysterically on the lawn
but secretly I would push my hair back at the top my forehead
I had blonde hair too just like those women on tv
I could be white around the forehead
besides mom told us the other day that our great great grandfather was from Scotland
all of us sisters could be white if we wanted to
but we were black
and black was beautiful like the revolutionary chant we heard on the tv and the street all the time
black was bold and beyond basic
we would never be blonde like our Barbie dolls in our Barbie country camper that we all bought together with our collective allowance plus a few quarters and dimes
they had plastic bodies and even more blonde plastic hair
black is beautiful
AND  IT   JUST   DON'T    CRACK
yellow blanket with black girls changing color in the noonday sun
skin turning red like a peach sitting on the top branch
RED     IS      BEAUTIFUL
RED     IS      BEAUTIFUL
RED     IS      BEAUTIFUL
and it just don’t crack

No comments:

Post a Comment